Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Shooting in a nightclub

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Social Worker Films's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2002
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Everyone here has been a big help thus far..maybe I can pick some of the expert brains once again:

    I will be shooting a small band performing in a nightclub (not a traditional live music venue). The dance floor is somewhat dark and the stage has a few white spots but is mainly a red and yellow wash.

    I know this is vague. Does anyone have any experience/tips/hints/tricks whatever...anything I should look out for? Recommended film stocks (I want to shoot color)? I wrangled a nice camera, a NIzo 4080 and I also have access to a digital light meter.

    Thanks again!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have done this several times with many different results. The best results were obtained when there was two 500 watt halogen worklamps lighting the stage which I filmmed using Ektachrome VNF at 24fps. I also have a Nizo camera like yours I've used. If you can use extra lighting I would try K40. If you must use the existing light go with Ektachrome. I have only tried shooting Ektachrome in the nightclubs, but I imagine I could have possibly used K40 with the extra lights.

    Stage lighting is usually more diffused than it might seem like, especially with those colored lights. I have had underexposed footage more than once happen from relying on stage lights. If there is no direct light on your subject, (even a single direct lightbulb will help), you may not get anything or if you do it will look bad. It's a fine line with reversal filmstock as to what will work and what won't. Sounds like in your case I would definitely film at 18fps, and try and bring some extra lights! I usually set the exposure on automatic but I would try and film as wide open as your cameras reading indicates. My last folly involved a backlit stage; the stage lights were more on the audience and in the backgound, so I got mostly sillhouettes of the performers. This might have worked if I set my aperture manually.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 10, 2003 12:29 PM: Message edited by: c_77 ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jeromecain's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    c-77 made sense. good luck! Have fun! Jerome, deaf filmmaker (my suggest try for extra lights and use k40 or 200t as it will kill your heart)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •